Special Notice: This session is open only to educators participating in the Regional Education Consortium. School Division ID required at check in. Pre-registration required.
Participants will learn the basic paddling and rescue skills, following some, but not all, of the goals identified in the American Canoe Association (ACA) Coastal Kayaking Traditional Skills and Level 2: Essentials of Kayak Touring. Participants must have the following abilities in order to be eligible for this course:
1. Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
2. Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
3. Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
4. Manage personal care independently
5. Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
6. Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
7. Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
8. Get on / off or in / out of a paddlecraft independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
9. Independently get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft
10. Remount or reenter the paddlecraft following deep water capsize independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance (we will practice this skill)
11. Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills, activities and rescues, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation
All School Staff
Presenter: Shannon Alexander and Staff
Location: New Point Comfort Beach & Lighthouse; 1 Old Lighthouse Rd, Port Haywood, VA 23138.
(The backup location in case of high winds is Johns Point, 4351 Johns Point Rd, Gloucester, VA.)
*Bring your picture ID for check-in
*You are welcome to bring your own drinks and snacks
*Potential VA Teacher Licensure Renewal points = 6
*For more information, including presenter bio, go to Portaportal.com Guest Login REC2020
*If for any reason you are unable to attend a session you register for, you must contact the RCC Workforce Development Center at 804-333-6828 to cancel your reservation and allow someone on the waitlist to utilize your seat.
*Building and room temperatures can fluctuate greatly during the summer and are not usually controlled on site. Please dress accordingly.